Attention! This is a potentially life-threatening condition for your bird and possibly your flock. Time is of the essence, contact your veterinarian immediately.Find me a Vet
Lead poisoning is one of the most commonly reported toxic conditions in both wild and domestic ducks. In wild ducks, it is often caused by lead shotgun pellets. In domestic birds, it is often caused by ingestion of a number of different commonly found items around the home, or exposure to urban soils with high lead content.
Lead poisoning can occur as an acute or chronic condition. The chronic condition occurs slowly, over time. Once the duck ingests the material, it is retained in their gizzard where is is slowly ground down and absorbed into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodsteam, lead causes pansystemic damage, particularly to the gastrointestinal nervous, renal and hematopoietic systems.